Monday, April 6, 2009

7 – 11 March 2009, Explore Istanbul, Turkey





Since I left Amsterdam, I started my travels with a five-day trip to Istanbul, Turkey.

My days in Istanbul, weather-wise, were an even split between days of warm, dreary weather and days of beautiful sun as if it was summer in mid-March. Thanks to a good friend, I got to see the most beautiful spots of Istanbul and live like a local for a few days.

My first day began with a trip to the local market and eating of a gozleme (often referred to as the Turkish pancake-filed with spinach, cheese and parsley). The remainder of the day was spent visiting the various little neighborhoods along the coast on my way to the Bosphorus. It is truly a beautiful coastline, with many fisherman casting alongside the promenade fishing. Fishing towns nearby provided the best of the local scene.  We had lunch at this quaint little place called Adem Baba in Iskelesi and my God the food was great.  Friday night was spent bar- hopping from one cool and trendy bar in Istanbul to another - roof top restaurants provided a great view of the Asian side of Istanbul.

The remainder of my days in Turkey was spent doing the stuff tourists flock to Istanbul to experience: the Hagia Sophia, the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (known as the Blue Mosque), the Yerebatan Cistern, the Archeology Museum, Topkapi Palace, and the Suleymaniye Mosque.  All lived up to their reputations and all of which should be seen once in a lifetime.  The Blue Mosque is often described as one of the most revered masterpieces of the Ottoman Empire and is said to inspire deep admiration in all those who visit it.  Strangely enough, as beautiful and breathtaking as the Blue Mosque is, I could not help but think as I walked about inside the mosque, "Umm, it could be abit more blue."... lol ... For me the highlight was the Hagia Sophia. It is truly amazing to have had the opportunity to see the church within the mosque, which is so richly decorated with christian mosaics.

I also did what all tourist do when they go to Istanbul, SHOP :-) - and shop I did at the Grand Bazaar, the Egyptian Spice Bazaar (with a stop at the Rustem Pasta Mosque), the boutiques and shops of Beyoglue, Bebek, the trendy shops of Nisantasi, Taksim and many more. And the end result was I bought a stunningly beautiful traditional carpet in the southern Turkish style, and some other local tchotchkes.

For me Istanbul is a city to remember and is on my list to do again :-).





No comments:

Post a Comment